The University of Montevallo encourages applications from all students whose academic background has prepared them for our programs of study. Online application.
Freshman Admission Criteria:
Consideration for freshman admission is based upon a combination of high school grade point average and ACT or SAT scores. Students offered unconditional admission to the University should meet the 2.5 cumulative GPA requirement and have a minimum composite ACT score of 20 (950 on SAT critical reading and mathematics). Applicants earning an ACT composite score of 18 or 19 (870 and higher on SAT critical reading and mathematics) are considered for regular admission on the basis of a scale of increasing grade point average. The freshman class of 2009 possessed an average GPA of a 3.3 and 23.5 ACT.
Students should submit an application, $30 application fee, official high school transcripts and test scores. Application deadline is July 15th for Fall term.
*Students taking AP, IB or dual enrollment courses should have test scores submitted to the Office of Admissions or official transcripts from the university where the dual enrollment courses were completed.
Interested in the University Honors Program? Students scoring a minimum 27 ACT and 3.0 GPA will automatically be invited to take part in the Honors Program. Students scoring lower than a 27 ACT who wish to take part in the Honors Program should submit at least two letters of recommendation to Dr. Sherry Ford, UM Honors Program Director. Learn more about the Honors Program.
*Students wishing to have their application considered for merit based scholarships should apply no later than December 1st of their senior year of high school.
Transfer Admission Criteria:
Students wishing to transfer to Montevallo from another institution must have completed 24 or more hours of credit and earned a minimum 2.0 college GPA. Students wishing to apply should submit an application, $30 application fee, official transcripts from any and all universities attended. Application deadline is August 1st for Fall term, and December 1st for Spring term. A student with less than 24 hours and an overall college GPA of 2.0 or higher is encouraged to apply, however additional information such as high school transcripts and standardized test scores might be required to complete the application file.
*Transfer students from a 2-year community college wishing to have their application considered for scholarships should have completed a minimum of 30 hours and apply prior to February 1st of the Spring term prior to the Fall term they wish to enroll.
The University does not award academic credit for non-academic pursuits such as continuing education courses, “life experience,” or any other course work taken on a noncredit basis.
The University of Montevallo welcomes qualified freshmen or transfer students from other countries.
The following credentials are required for the University to conduct a review for admission:
1. A completed original UM international student application for admission signed by the student and the required $30.00 application fee. Students should check the list of majors offered at UM and enter the one you choose in the appropriate space on the application. The application file, including all supporting documents must be complete 2 months prior to the intended term of enrollment.
2. A completed original Student Medical History Form signed by a physician and the Turberculosis (TB) Risk questionnaire.
3. A completed affidavit of financial support indicating that sufficient funds are available to pay the cost of attendance. Documentation stating that the necessary funds will be available to you for the academic year is required. For cost of attendance information, email the UM Admissions Office at email@example.com.
NOTE: There is no financial aid program for international students at UM, nor do immigration laws permit part-time employment except in limited circumstances.
4. For non-native English speakers, a score report of either the Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required. The University requires a score of 525 or better on the written TOEFL, a score of more than 193 on the computer-based exam, or a score of at least 71 on the Internet-based TOEFL. On the IELTS, the University requires a minimum overall score of a 6.0, with a minimum score of 5.0 an any individual section.
Students may find more information regarding the TOEFL at www.toefl.org.
Students may find more information regarding the IELTS at www.ielts.org.
5. A complete transcript of all secondary-school study (translated into English, if necessary).
6. An official evaluation of any college credit taken at a college or university outside the United States. Evaluation must be done by an evaluating agency such as World Education Services www.wes.org/application or Lisano International www.Lisano-INTL.com. The evaluation is necessary for acceptance of credits to a UM program of study.
7. Official transcripts from any college or university attended in the United States and Transfer Clearance Form completed by the DSO at the previous institution.